- Anyone may enter.
- Each chain gang must consist of six writers and have access to the internet.
- Chain gangs must register before 5pm on 15th June 2012. To register, send the location of your gang (eg. Nairobi, Kenya) their names, email addresses, and the time slot alloted to each link in your chain to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each registered chain gang will be assigned a blog page. Usernames, passwords and instructions will be sent out on 19th June 2012 at 12am. Do not be afraid, this will be easy.
- You don’t have to write for a full hour. Write as much or as little as you like (up to 400 words), within your hour. The first writer in the chain gang must log in at 8.00am GMT on 20th June and publish their section timeously, before 9.00am GMT on 2oth June so the next writer can continue.
- Working from the same venue and computer is preferable. However, we understand that this is not always possible. In cases where teams are working remotely, we cannot be held responsible for work lost should two members log in at the same time.
- Please don’t plan your story. We may decide to supply you with the first line, a theme, or both. We will only place the line and/or theme just before the starting time on 20th June. If there is no line when you log in at 8.00am GMT, you may assume you are not getting one and begin writing.
- By submitting a story the authors attest that it is their own original work and grant non-exclusive print and digital rights to International Short Story Day, Short Story Day Africa, The Book Lounge and Comma Press for publicity purposes.
- Authors retain copyright to their stories.
Should a gang/all gang members not be able to write online for technical reasons, please contact us and we’ll make a plan.